The Ala Mahamoe Street Plant & Seed Station was initiated by Melanie Ah New. The Ala Mahamoe Cultural Garden (part of the Ko‘olau Mountains Watershed Partnership) granted permission to implement a plant share outside the garden’s gate, with the caveat that the area is kept neat, and do not receive complaints from DLNR.
- Exclusively for the exchange of plants and seeds.
- Anyone and everyone can participate.
- Observe Covid safety – masks and 6-foot physical distancing. TURN OFF YOUR CAR. Global warming is bad enough as is.
- Hours: 24/7, except for extreme weather.
- Address: 1812 Ala Mahamoe Street
- Drop off plants on the left side in front of garden entrance gate. Keep the area in front of the gate clear for workers cars/carts. Do not go into the gated area.
- If you drop off plants, avoid using styrofoam containers. Label plants. Best is sharpie on cardboard, weighed down by a rock or anchored into soil with a 3″+ nail. DO NOT LEAVE DISEASED PLANTS.
- Do no take containers or buckets. If you’d like to donate containers or buckets, mark them as donations.
- If you are a Facebook 808 Green Thumbs members, make a post on what you have dropped off. Group admin requests that we tag our posts [Ala Mahamoe St. Plant & Seed Station] under the 3-dots icon.
- No one works at the Freestore. All users are expected to contribute to its maintenance. This is not a dumping ground. Leave the place neater than when you arrived. If you take the last plant, please take the box it was in.
Sorry, Free Store does not accept checks, credit cards, paypal, venmo or cash…
FREE STORES are anti-capitalist and anarchist. They are permanent spaces for autonomous exchange. Nothing is for sale. They are not owned, managed, monitored, or surveilled. There is no paid staff. They only keep going if the people who use them keep them going. Unlike Santa and the State, Free Stores give equally to the naughty and the nice. No one’s labor is exploited and no tax-deductions are offered. They are, in all of the word’s various definitions, free.
TAKE = act without shame
LEAVE = share without condition
WHATEVAS = trust without apology
MORE PLANTS FREESTORES
Follow us on Instagram at @uhmanoa_freestore