Hawai‘i Kai Freestore
- The Hawai‘i Kai Free Library / Freestore focuses on plants and books.
- Address: 438 Portlock Road
- Hours: 24/7 except for extreme weather.
- Anyone and everyone can participate.
- *No one works at the Freestore. It is autonomous, meaning all users are expected to contribute to its maintenance. (an·ar·chism /ˈanərˌkizəm/ n. the organization of society on a voluntary, cooperative basis without recourse to force or compulsion.)
- Observe Covid safety – masks and 6-foot physical distancing. DO NOT COME IF YOU ARE SICK.
- TURN OFF YOUR CAR and park safely. There is plenty of free street parking everywhere. Please do not block any driveways as cops drive by often and will ticket!
- Do not take the containers holding the plants unless they are potted plants.
- Contributions of plant containers or buckets are most welcome!
- Contributions of used but good condition books are also welcome.
- If you drop off plants, please label what they are. DO NOT LEAVE DISEASED PLANTS OR PLANTS WITH PESTS ON THEM.
- Bulk seeds drop-offs are welcomed. They will be packaged in small quantity and redistributed.
- If you are a Facebook 808 Green Thumbs group member, please make a post on what you drop off. Group admin requests that we tag our posts [Hawaii Kai Freestore] under the 3-dots icon.
- Please respect our reclusive yet curious neighbors. Be aware that neighbors across the way are very nice but have very barky dogs so please don’t engage with the dogs.
- Inventory changes minute by minute. Please don’t ask for holds unless it’s an absolute must have… just message (bleeding-heart) @graceskyblue on Facebook.
- Many many more Freestores are needed. Start one!
Sorry, Free Store does not accept checks, credit cards, paypal, venmo or cash…
FREE STORES are anti-capitalist and *anarchist. They are permanent spaces for autonomous exchange. Nothing is for sale. They are not owned, managed, monitored, or surveilled. There is no paid staff. They only keep going if the people who use them keep them going. Unlike Santa and the State, Free Stores give equally to the naughty and the nice. No one’s labor is exploited and no tax-deductions are offered. They are, in all of the word’s various definitions, free.
TAKE = act without shame
LEAVE = share without condition
WHATEVAS = trust without apology
MORE PLANT FREESTORES [MAP]
- Coconut Grove (Kailua)
- Ewa Beach
- Hawai‘i Kai
- North Shore
- Palisades (Pearl City)
Follow us on Instagram at @uhmanoa_freestore