- The Nānākuli Freestore focuses on seedlings, starts, cuttings, trees plants and seeds. Site may periodically include produce, chicken manure and air-layered plants from the neighborhood.
- Address: curbside at 89-149 Naniahiahi Street, Waianae, 96792.
- Hours: 24/7, except for extreme weather.
- Anyone and everyone can participate.
- *No one works at the Freestore. It is autonomous, meaning all users are expected to contribute to its maintenance. (an·ar·chism /ˈanərˌkizəm/ n. the organization of society on a voluntary, cooperative basis without recourse to force or compulsion.)
- Be concerned about community health, mask and 6-foot physical distance as appropriate.
- Do not park in the driveway except when unloading plants. It is OK to temporarily park in no parking area as long as you’re not blocking neighbor’s driveway.
- TURN OFF YOUR CAR ENGINE. Global warming is bad enough and the heat from the vehicles may wilt items there.
- Do not take the containers holding the plants unless they are potted plants.
- Contributions of earthworms, fertilizer, compost, mulch, wood chip, sand, gardening tools, buckets, reusable, clean old pots, watering containers, empty large containers are much welcomed and humbly appreciated.
- If you drop off plants, label what they are. Use Sharpies on cardboard and works great on Dixie cups. DO NOT LEAVE DISEASED PLANTS, EVER.
- Close SHARE SEEDS box so the packets don’t get wet. Bulk seeds drop-offs are welcomed. Please label seeds so it will be easier for packaging in smaller quantities and redistributed.
- If you are a Facebook 808 Green Thumbs group members, make a post on what you dropped off so we can thank you and look forward to knowing our contributors.
- Respect the neighbors and turn down or turn off your music while making your selection.
- Inventory changes minute by minute, day to day, season to season. Don’t ask resident to hold things for you. FCFS, NFSOT, NO BARTERS.
- Many, many, more Freestores are needed. Start one!!
- Please submit any shared DIY ideas, feedback or referrals by contacting us in the link available.
Sorry, Free Store does not accept checks, credit cards, paypal, venmo or cash…
FREE STORES are anti-capitalist and *anarchist. They are permanent spaces for autonomous exchange. Nothing is for sale. They are not owned, managed, monitored, or surveilled. There is no paid staff. They only keep going if the people who use them keep them going. Unlike Santa and the State, Free Stores give equally to the naughty and the nice. No one’s labor is exploited and no tax-deductions are offered. They are, in all of the word’s various definitions, free.
TAKE = act without shame
LEAVE = share without condition
WHATEVAS = trust without apology
MORE PLANT FREESTORES [MAP]
- Ala Wai
- Coconut Grove (Kailua)
- Enchanted Lake (Kailua)
- Ewa Beach
- Hawai‘i Kai
- Kokokahi (Kāne‘ohe)
- MCBH (Kāne‘ohe Bay)
- Niu Valley
- Palisades (Pearl City)
- Royal Kunia
- West Loch (Ewa)
Follow us on Instagram at @hawaii_freestore